The complete Candidate Packet for 2020 is printable here (may take a minute to load 42 pages, including forms. A packet is also available for pick-up in the Town Clerk's office by appointment, 231.1771, ext. 121). The necessary State forms are often available in fillable & printable PDF version here at the Division of Elections website.
Electing Officials for the Town of Indian River Shores
The Town of Indian River Shores holds elections every even-numbered year to elect two or three of the five-member Town Council. This election is held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November in the Town's Community Center.
The remaining 2020 elections for Indian River Shores' residents are the Primary Elections on August 18, and for Town Council with the General Elections on November 3, 2020. We will have three seats available: Mayor Tom Slater, Vice Mayor Bob Auwaerter and Councilmember Debbi Peniston are all eligible for reelection, but two have determined not to run in the Town.
Anyone interested in becoming an Indian River Shores council member must have been a resident of the Town for at least one year prior to the election. Our council members are elected "at large," which means that each council member represents the Town as a whole rather than a specific district within the Town. The qualifying period to register as a candidate for the 2020 Town Council is noon on Monday, August 31st and continues through noon on September 4, 2020. Other important considerations include:
- Willingness to serve a 4-year term of office;
- Availability to physically meet at least once per month, usually on the fourth Thursday at 9 a.m., to conduct the affairs of the Town;
- Availability to represent the Town on one or more boards or committees for normal monthly,quarterly or irregularly scheduled meetings in the county or state;
- Participation in selection of the mayor and vice-mayor for 2-year terms at a special or regular meeting following the elections;
- Serving without remuneration (unpaid other than reimbursable travel expenses).
Please contact the Town Clerk for further details or information regarding seeking election to Indian River Shores Town Council.