Election Sign Ordinance
ORDINANCE NO. 531
AN ORDINANCE OF TOWN OF INDIAN RIVER SHORES, FLORIDA, ADDING SECTION 164.15, ELECTION SIGNS, TO THE TOWN’S LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE; PROVIDING FOR CONTINUITY: PROVIDING FOR CONFLICT; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the Town Council recognizes the importance of freedom of speech and freedom of expression found in election signs; and
WHEREAS, the Town has determined the need to provide for and to limit signs relating to elections as a special category;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF INDIAN RIVER SHORES:
SECTION 1. The following Section shall be incorporated into the Land Development Code:
Sec. 164.15. Election signs.
- Signs shall be either freestanding or window signs a maximum of one (1) square foot in area, a maximum of one (1) foot in height. The cumulative area of all window signs shall be a maximum of 20 percent of the total area of each window.
- Election signs shall be located wholly on private property with the prior consent of the property owner or lawful occupant of the property. Such signs shall be located at least two (2) feet from public rights-of-way and shall be at least 15 feet from rear and side property lines.
- The number of signs allowed per street frontage shall be one per candidate and one per each side of an issue.
- Election signs shall be posted no earlier than 30 days prior to the corresponding election and must be removed no later than seven days after the corresponding election.
- Failure to properly place or remove signs will result in a fine of $25 per occurrence.
SECTION 2. All ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict herewith or inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance are hereby repealed to the extent of such conflict.
SECTION 3. If any provision of this ordinance or the application hereof is held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect the other provisions or applications of this ordinance, and to this end, the provisions.
SECTION 4. This Ordinance shall take effect upon its final reading and approval.
1st Reading: August 25, 2016
Published: September 9 , 2016
PASSED AND ADOPTED upon second and final reading at a regular meeting of the Town Council of the Town of Indian River Shores, Florida, on the 22nd day of September, 2016.
Brian M. Barefoot, Mayor
Laura Aldrich, Town Clerk